- How Did I Get Varicose Veins?
- What Problems Do Varicose Veins Cause?
- Do I Need to Get My Veins Fixed in a Hospital ?
- What improved techniques does Dr. Peper use to treat bad veins?
- What Should I Look for in My Vein Surgeon?
How Did I Get Varicose Veins?
The truth is, you probably came by your veins honestly, by family ties. Common causes (and things that can worsen veins):
- Heredity (“My father had big veins”)
- Pregnancies (More kids, more varicose veins)
- Weight gain
- Previous phlebitis (inflamed veins)
- Gender (Women more affected than men)
- Strenuous / continuous weight lifting
What Problems Do Varicose Veins Cause?
- Pain – the pressure can really hurt
- Leg Fatigue
- Swelling of the lower leg or ankle
- Skin color changes (red – brown)
- Skin thickening and flakiness (ankle)
- Ulceration (open sores near ankle)
- Unsightly appearance
Do I Need to Get My Veins Fixed in a Hospital?
No! Almost all of these problems are fixed without the need for hospitalization. Dr. Peper does this work right in the vein clinic, and patients are usually free to go home within a few minutes of finishing the procedure.
What improved techniques does Dr. Peper use to treat bad veins?
- Safe, tumescent local anesthesia – this avoids the cost and risk of general anesthesia.
- Laser technology – avoids surgical incisions by permanently closing veins from the inside of the vein.
- “Micro” removal of bulging veins, thus avoiding risky and large incisions
- Injection (sclerotherapy) – a painless method to close smaller veins
- High resolution ultrasound – to protect nearby normal veins through better imaging
What Should I Look for in My Vein Surgeon?
Experience is the most important thing.
Dr. Peper has more than 25 years venous and arterial surgical experience. His career includes having done almost 4,000 heart surgeries, with vast experience in blood vessel disease.
He and his family love Central Texas and have lived here for more than 20 years.
Do You Accept Insurance for Treatment?
Yes, we accept Medicare and most other major insurance plans.
Will I Have Out-of-Pocket costs?
This depends on the agreement you have with your insurance company. Usual co-pays and deductibles apply, but it’s best to check. We can assist you with this.
Will I Miss A Lot of Work After I have My Veins Treated?
Most patients are back at work a couple of days after their procedure. Some can go to work the very same day!
My Mom had her big veins come back after her old-style ``stripping`` operation (many years ago) Is Treatment Better Now?
Treatment is much, much better (and easier for the patient) than in decades past. Precise imaging and treatment technology, when combined with Dr. Peper’s experience, allow accurate treatment, with minimal recovery time and excellent post-op appearance.